Arsenal Stadium (Highbury)
Arsenal Stadium, known almost universally by its original name of Highbury, was the Club’s home from 1913 until 2006.
In a bid to revive the Gunners fortunes, and to increase the supporter base, Norris decided to move the Club. After originally sounding out sites at Battersea and Harringay, he decided on a plot of land in Highbury, the site of the playing fields of St John’s College of Divinity. Despite local opposition to the move, from residents and other north London football clubs, the deeds were signed early in 1913.
Arsenal paid £20,000 for a 21-year lease on six acres of land and, as part of the deal, agreed not to play at home on Christmas Day or Good Friday. The college remained at the southern end of the stadium until it burnt down at the end of the Second World War. The Club dropped ‘Woolwich’ from their name during the season following the move north of the river, but much work had to be done at Highbury before Arsenal could play their first game there.
The new stadium was designed by Archibald Leitch, who also designed stands for Manchester United, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Tottenham and Glasgow Rangers. The pitch was levelled, a new grandstand was partly built, and turnstiles and terracing were installed – all at great expense to Norris (later Sir Henry Norris). The main stand was on the East side, and housed 9,000 spectators.
Below is a picture of the old clock end terrace, a roof and executive boxes were added in 1989.
All Photo’s Copyright subject to their respective owners.